Abbott Ireland Nutrition Division – Cootehill
Abbott Nutrition develops and markets a wide range of science-based infant formulae, medical nutritionals and related products to support the growth, health and wellness of people of all ages.
Abbott Nutrition has led the way in the development of feeds for infants and young children and specialised feeds for specific disease states and conditions. Health care professionals and their patients look to us for nutritional products—and partnerships—that encompass every stage of life for essential growth, development and well-being.
As a division of Abbott, we remain committed to the highest standards of quality, excellence and innovation. We remain true to the tenets upon which our company was founded—providing innovative and superior nutrition that advances the quality of life for people of all ages.
The award winning Abbott Nutrition facility in Ireland is located on a site approximately 1 km from Cootehill, on the Cavan-Monaghan border.
Established in 1975, Abbott Nutrition in Ireland is the largest powder manufacturing facility for the production of infant formulae within the Abbott Corporation worldwide.
Approximately 1,000 dairy farms in Ireland and Northern Ireland supply quality milk to the Cootehill facility which processes 500,000 litres per day. This secure supply together with Ireland’s reputation as a green, clean environment is of significant strategic importance to Abbott Nutrition.
Abbott Nutrition in Cootehill manufactures infant nutritional products for the export markets.
The facility is dedicated to providing products of the highest quality standard to its customers.
Abbott Nutrition produces a range of infant formulae in all pack sizes under the brand name “Similac”. To complement the range of “Similac” infant formulae, the facility also manufactures a range of follow on formulae under the brand name of “Gain”. The essential ingredient is liquid skim milk and this is combined with carbohydrate, vegetable oils, vitamins and minerals. The product is blended, pasteurised, dried and packaged at the site and once packaged, is distributed to Europe, South East Asia, the Middle East, Latin America and Canada.
Abbott Nutrition, Cootehill is a manufacturer of Infant Nutritional Formulae. We are totally committed to managing and conducting our business in harmony with the protection of the environment, human health and the safety of our employees, customers and the general public.
To achieve this goal the company will implement and maintain procedures to:
- Ensure continued compliance with all Local Government, National and E.U. statutory requirements and Abbott Laboratories Environmental, Health and Safety standards and requirements.
- Continuously striving for a Moving to Zero Culture and instilling core values in all that we do (Pioneering, Achieving, Caring, and Enduring).
- Identify hazards and eliminate or minimize risks so as to prevent injury or ill health to employees, contractors and visitors.
- Continually critically assess operations with the specific goal to prevent pollution by minimising and reducing impact on the environment of the principal environmental aspects.
- Reduce our environmental footprint and take steps against climate change.
- Strategically plan for Environment, Health and Safety in the workplace and routinely set and review achievement of specific objectives for continuous improvement in the areas of Environmental and Health and Safety management.
- Strive to ensure that the Environmental, Health and Safety Policy and Objectives have equality with other business interests.
- Communicate the plant Environmental, Health and Safety Policy to employees, contractors and visitors.
- Engage employees in the company effort to optimize Health and Safety and Environmental performance.
- Use appropriate training, involvement and communication with all our employees and other relevant parties to actively promote responsibility towards the Environment in addition to awareness of Health and Safety.
This Environmental, Health and Safety Policy cover all activities at the Abbott Nutrition site, and has the full commitment and support from management.
For more information on Abbott Nutrition, please visit www.abbottnutrition.ie.