Abbott Ireland Nutrition Division – Cootehill
Abbott Nutrition develops and markets a wide range of science-based infant formulae, medical nutritionals and related products to support the growth, health and wellness of people of all ages.
Abbott Nutrition has led the way in the development of feeds for infants and young children and specialised feeds for specific disease states and conditions. Health care professionals and their patients look to us for nutritional products—and partnerships—that encompass every stage of life for essential growth, development and well-being.
As a division of Abbott, we remain committed to the highest standards of quality, excellence and innovation. We remain true to the tenets upon which our company was founded—providing innovative and superior nutrition that advances the quality of life for people of all ages.
The award winning Abbott Nutrition facility in Ireland is located on a site approximately 1 km from Cootehill, on the Cavan-Monaghan border.
Established in 1975, Abbott Nutrition in Ireland is the largest powder manufacturing facility for the production of infant formulae within the Abbott Corporation worldwide.
Approximately 1,000 dairy farms in Ireland and Northern Ireland supply quality milk to the Cootehill facility which processes 500,000 litres per day. This secure supply together with Ireland’s reputation as a green, clean environment is of significant strategic importance to Abbott Nutrition.
Abbott Nutrition in Cootehill manufactures infant nutritional products for the export markets.
The facility is dedicated to providing products of the highest quality standard to its customers.
Abbott Nutrition produces a range of infant formulae in all pack sizes under the brand name “Similac”. To complement the range of “Similac” infant formulae, the facility also manufactures a range of follow on formulae under the brand name of “Gain”. The essential ingredient is liquid skim milk and this is combined with carbohydrate, vegetable oils, vitamins and minerals. The product is blended, pasteurised, dried and packaged at the site and once packaged, is distributed to Europe, South East Asia, the Middle East, Latin America and Canada.
Abbott Ireland, Cootehill is a manufacturer of Infant Nutritional Formula. This EHS&E Management Policy covers all site activities at the Abbott Ireland facility in Cootehill including all products, processes and other activities which affect significant energy consumption, the environment and the health & safety of employees, contractors, visitors and those affected by the business. The policy has the full commitment and support of management.
Management will provide all necessary information and resources to successfully implement and maintain the site’s Management Systems.To achieve this goal the company will implement and maintain procedures to:
• Ensure continued compliance with all Local Government, National and E.U. statutory requirements and Abbott Environmental, Health, Safety & Energy standards and requirements.
• Provide the framework for setting and reviewing environmental, health, safety & energy objectives and targets.
• Monitor, evaluate and conserve total energy consumption onsite while negotiating best-in-class price and deliver contracts and promote the installation of financially beneficial energy conservation and alternative energy projects.
• Communicate the plant EHS&E Management Policy to employees, contractors and visitors.
• Strategically plan for Energy Efficiency, Environmental management, Health and safety in the workplace.
• Aim to achieve a year on year reduction in energy use and annually set and review achievement of specific EHS&E objectives for continuous improvement in the areas of EHS & E management.
• Ensure that the EHS& E Management Policy and Objectives have equality with other business interests.
• Continuously strive for a positive Safety Culture in Moving to Zero accidents and instill core values in all that we do (Pioneering, Achieving, Caring, and Enduring).
• Identify hazards and minimize risks so as to prevent injury or ill health to employees, contractors and visitors.
• Continuously assess operations with the specific goal to prevent pollution by minimising and reducing our impact on the environment and take steps to maintain sustainability.
• Engage employees in the company effort to optimize Health and Safety performance, Environmental performance and Energy efficiency.
• Use appropriate training, involvement and communication with all our employees and other relevant parties to actively promote responsibility towards the Environment in addition to awareness of Health and Safety and Energy Management.
• Support the purchase of energy-efficient products and services, and design for energy performance improvement.
Responsibility rests on all employees to co-operate in achieving the greatest possible level of EHS & E management onsite. This statement and our management systems will be reviewed periodically in light of experience and ongoing developments.
Environmental information is available on request to the public and other interested parties.